Tuesday 15 January 2013

Before the internet... Part 1

Before there was the internet there was Television, and what television was good for back in the eighties and nineties was advertising and commercials. It was a time where if you weren't reading gaming magazines, you would find out about games through television Adverts. Here's a few I remember from back in the day...


This advert for Super Mario Bros 3 was just epic, as a kid I always wanted to know how they pulled off having so many people to make that mosiac of Mario across the United States...  Well it was all computer generated!


"To be this good takes Sega" was a set of adverts I really remember well with it's crazy mechanical and robotic themes with a dude living inside a huge American eighteen wheeler lorry. As much as I was a Nintendo Fan Boy at the time, they used to show these adverts a lot in the early nineties.


I got into reading gaming magazines when I saw a cover of Nintendo Magazine System with Super Mario Land 2 on the front of it, I had to have it! I needed to know what the next Mario game is like, and just as I saw this Magazine cover, this advert appeared on TV around the same time in winter of 1992. Just the crazy look on Wario's face in this advert made Wario Mario's next big enemy!


Sony's "Double Life" TV ad in 1998 is by far, the darkest, but powerful advert I've seen, that makes people know that as much as society has a habit of labelling gamers as antisocial individuals, we have witnessed a form of art they are not aware of...


"Up to 6 Billion Players" was the slogan Sega used for their adverts when the Dreamcast started to release Online games such as Chu-Chu Rocket, Phantasy Star Online and a bunch of Football and sports games.


With the internet age on our hands, at least I don't need adverts to tell me what game to get, websites, blogs, podcasts and game news and reviews can be seen on the web. However in Part 2 of "Before the Internet", I'll be blogging about TV shows about video games in the early nineties.

No comments:

Post a Comment